Saturday, March 15, 2008

My Burning Desire to Write

You can WHAP with a flyswatter,
but you WAP with Time to Write!

So, I've been blogging about following Kelly L. Stone's book Time to Write. One of the first concepts that Kelly introduces is "The Burning Desire to Write." This is your vision, the reason that you push to succeed, and as Kelly says, the reason you don't push the snooze button at 6:30 AM.
My burning desire to write is kind of complicated.

1. I write because I can't think of anything else to do. I'm a passionate, emotional person whose spoken sentences often come out in a jumble. Most of my jokes only sound funny in my head. I can never stop reading (my legal drug.) So I write.
2. I write because I'm ambitious. Before I started Innovative, I decided I wanted to become the voice on teen writing. The expert, the big kahuna, the dorky girl in the glasses that newspapers interview for opinions on Kaavya's plagiarism. I'm not that person yet, but I'm getting there. And I love the getting-there part. I want to write books that teenagers will be reading a hundred years in the future, but also that teenagers will read today. It's like a desire to produce something great, something I haven't written yet.

3. I write because, in simple words, I love it. I love the act of crafting a chapter, of getting a sentence right, and yes, I love getting up at 6:30 in the morning, turning on my Birthday Playlist, and writing for an hour before school.
Stay tuned next week as Gabrielle begins to make her WAP and shares the scandalous details with the blogosphere. AND tomorow we have a new issue of Innovative to look forward to!

No comments: