Sunday, March 16, 2008

Bookshelf: Beastly by Alex Flinn


I was at Barnes & Noble's yesterday and was in the odd position of not knowing what book to read. Between finding authors for Innovative, wanting to check out old faves like Jennifer Weiner or Shannon Hale, and can't-wait-to-reading new books I've heard about through the publishing biz, I'm never strapped for a good read. Except for yesterday.
So I picked up Getting Rid of Bradley by Jennifer Crusie and Beastly by Alex Flinn. Crusie will have to wait, because Beastly was fantastic. It's a modern retelling of Beauty & the Beast (narrated by prep king turned monster) that is funny without being spoof-like, romantic without being overtly sappy. It currently has a five-star rating on Amazon.com.
I loved it, too, because BOYS WOULD LIKE IT. It's so unusual to find a retold fairy tale that appeals to both genders. So check it out, folks.

No comments: