Sunday, October 12, 2008

WORD: Making It as a Teen Writer

by Gabrielle Linnell

I've noticed a disturbing trend in my publishing efforts. More and more markets, leads, sources and opportunities are coming not from my magazine subscriptions but from... my Google Reader.
-
Weird.
-
Yet, this is not surprising. The only way you will learn to swim is if you jump into a pool. The only way you will be published, and be published again and be published with pizazz, is if you immerse yourself in the publishing world. Because teens have problems with abstract thinking, here are 3 concrete ways to do so.
-
1. Call your local writing organization and offer to speak. Sound intimidating? Probably is. If you've been published at least a few times, find out who runs the writing shows in your town and volunteer yourself as a teen panelist. I'm doing writing workshops at my library this year, which I am very excited about. It gives me credibility and something new to add to my query bios.
-
2. Read writing blogs. I cannot stress this enough. Freelancers' blogs are best for market opportunities, agents' blogs for biz updates and querying advice, and fellow teen blogs for teen-specific markets and inspiration. If you need help getting started, check out the Best of the Blogs panel on the right. The internet has changed the isolation of the writing world into a constant networking opportunity. Use it!
-
3. Get published everywhere (kind of.) Authors are always advised to get their name out any way they can. WriTeens need to identify (1) what kind of writing they want to do and (2) who will publish it. If you love short fiction, make a list of 3 nonpaying-but-reputable e-zines (with editors and domain names!) that publish short fiction and submit. After two months, make a new list of paying e-zines and work your way up. I review books for one teen magazine without compensation, but it's a way for me to break into book reviewing and to get free books.
-
Swim with them fishies. The water is a very cool place.

No comments: