Friday, October 17, 2008

The Art of Amendable Deadlines

I wanted to have a big query done tomorrow, but it will not happen.
-
I wanted to finish my novel's 2nd draft by 8am on Wednesday, but it was 9:30.
-
If you're super goal-oriented, channel this into your writing. Read Time to Write and get those WAP plans started. But, my dear little perfectionists, you will get published a total of three times (give or take .2) if you don't learn the art of amendable deadlines. What? Amendability? Is that even a word?
-
Artistic Principle #1: Know the difference between amendability and procrastination. If you keep putting something off, it will not get done. However, if your original deadline was earlier than a contest deadline, you still have a little time.
-
Artistic Principle #2: Work around your life. If you know that you have 5 tests this Monday, don't count on finishing three chapters of your novel. Homecoming, SATs, volunteering, massive parties: these are fabulous things that must be worked into our writing schedule.
-
Artistic Principle #3: Amend by little amounts. I can't finish that Big Query Friday, but I can have a good chunk of it done tomorrow. I can have a complete draft by Monday, and send it off by Wednesday. Later than I'd hoped? Yes, but still submitted.
-
And you will never get published if you don't submit, remember? Speaking of deadlines, Kent Healy's coming by tomorrow... yes, he is the co-author of my favorite 2008 nonfiction release, The Success Principles for Teens, along with a bunch of other books. Yes, he worked with Jack Canfield. Yes, he pretty much blows the mind and is very nice to interview. Look out for him tomorrow.

No comments: