Saturday, October 18, 2008

Bookshelf: Hello to Kent Healy!


Kent Healy wrote his first book, "Cool Stuff" They Don't Teach You In School, when he was 17. He's now the author of the "Cool Stuff" Coaching Course, The One Minute Student and co-author with Jack Canfield of The Success Principles for Teens. He's appeared on TV and radio shows more than 100 times, writes columns for several newspapers, and was the youngest contestant on The Messengers, a search for America's next great inspirational speaker.

INN: What prompted The Success Principles for Teens?
-
KH: It all began over six years ago when I was 17 years old. While my brother and I were writing our first book, “Cool Stuff” They Should Teach in School, we were faced with some “doubtful opposition” (to be politically correct). Many of our friends didn’t believe we could actually write a book and many adults thought it was a “nice idea” that would never come into fruition. Part of us began to believe some of the feedback. After all, neither one of us had a strong writing background. We didn’t have any connections in the publishing industry and our business experience was minimal.
-
Fortunately, we met somebody whose opinion put a new gust of inspiration in our sails. Six months earlier I had set a goal to meet Jack Canfield. Miraculously, a family friend mentioned he had two tickets to an entrepreneur’s conference in which Jack Canfield would be the key note speaker. It was a combination of déjà-vu and astonishment. To say the least, we were excited.
-
After waiting in line for twenty minutes, we finally had our chance to speak with Jack. Upon sharing our “Cool Stuff” book idea with him, he was extremely supportive and helpful. Of course, we then had a newfound motivation to see the project through. Jack and I spoke a on a few different occasions over the next few years and slowly, he became a mentor and coach for me.
-
When the original Success Principles was released, Jack sent me a signed copy. I read it and not surprisingly, I was inspired. I just knew that this information needed to be packaged for my generation as well. After speaking with Jack about it, he asked me to co-author The Success Principles for Teens with him.
=
The information was important and powerful and I was thrilled to begin writing The Success Principles for Teens which took over two years to complete. I also couldn’t help but take the lead on personally managing the design process of the cover and the interior (I know how important those parts are). Now that the book is written and distributed through bookstores I can honestly say (with a sigh of relief and contentment) that I am very pleased with the way it’s turned out.
INN: In your opinion, what principle do you think is most important?
-
KH: Well, all 20 principles are designed to work together. Jack and I were very careful when we chose these top 20 principles from the original 64. But the one principle that comes to mind immediately for me is the very first chapter titled, Take 100% Responsibility for Your Life—and it is first for a good reason.
-
In order to make any positive changes in our lives we must take full responsibility for the results we are currently getting. We must give up all of our complaining and blaming if we want experience the level of success we deserve. Like we always say, the only way to a better life is a better you. And the only way to a better involves taking 100% responsibility for our actions.
-
Although it’s a very simple concept, this can be a difficult lesson to learn. That’s why Jack and I have dedicated an entire chapter to address this topic.
-
There are of course other topics in the book that are perhaps a little more interesting and unique, but this principle is the foundation that allows all other success principles to work. If you don’t FULLY understand this concept inside and out, then you won’t have the quality of life you deserve. It’s that simple.
INN: What's the craziest thing that has happened to you since getting published?

KH: So many things have happened in the past few years its hard to chose just one. However, one area that has changed my life completely is how I have befriended an entirely different peer group—people who are young, driven, and very successful. I love being around other young people who are optimistic, talented, and motivated—and those are the people I have been able to meet as a result of writing books and starting a company. It’s just proof that following your passion attracts more like-minded people into your life.
-
I’ve also been invited on TV shows, radio shows, exclusive events, and yes, even private yachts! To think how my life has changed in the last 5 years is difficult to fathom.
INN: What was it like working with Jack Canfield?
-
KH: I always love working with people who are creative, hard-working, and those who walk-their-talk. It’s difficult not to like Jack! He is charismatic, wise, and he genuinely cares about others. He also happens to be one of the busiest people I know, so as a result, much of the time I was taking the lead on the project. But like any good coach, Jack challenged me to think—and I really liked the challenge of expanding my knowledge and awareness about behavioral science and success psychology. We also just enjoy each other’s company and share a common goal, which is energizing in itself!
-
INN: Any advice for teen writers?
-
KH: Yes, be persistent, creative, and proactive. Those traits have enabled me to write five books, become a columnist, and enjoy many other successes in life. Here’s how it works:
Be Persistent: Jack and I both agree that persistence is probably the single most common quality of high achievers (not natural ability like we’re often lead to believe). It’s really a simple concept: The longer you hang in there, the greater the chance that something will happen in your favor. Since we cannot expect success to come overnight we must be prepared to persevere through challenges, fear, doubt and discomfort. Like Norman Vincent Peale says, “It’s always too soon to quit.”
-
Be creative: In school we are sometimes trained to believe that there is only one answer to a problem. In reality, this is not always true. Sometimes we must challenge ourselves to try to look at life from a completely different perspective.
-
Sometimes thinking different makes all the difference. Since questions direct our thinking and our focus, we can begin to change our outlook by changing the questions we ask ourselves. I’ve made a habit of asking myself two primary questions, “Is there a better way to do this?” and “What’s unique about this that I haven’t noticed yet?” These questions can help you recognize a new way to promote your writing, approach a mentor, and achieve your goals. Don’t get sucked into the train of thought that says, “This is the only way it can be done because this is only way it has been done.” That mentality will instantly limit your creativity and potential.
-
Think outside the box, question everything, and develop a deep sense of curiosity. Long ago, the Greek philosopher Socrates said it best, “Wisdom begins with wonder.” Curiosity urges us to explore the unknown, step out of our comfort zone, and tap into the magnificent power of passion.
-
Be Proactive: It’s possible that someone in the right position will “discover” you and offer you your dream job, but it is not likely. Gabrielle, you are a perfect example of a writer “putting herself out there.” You saw an opportunity to use the internet to hone your craft and market yourself as a professional writer. That is being proactive!
-
Never be afraid to ask for help and support. The power of Asking is one of the Success Principles in our book—and I think it is one of the most powerful. When I was writing my first book, I was constantly asking everyone I met, “Who do you know in the publishing industry?” and “What do you know now that you wish you knew when you were my age?” Eventually, the right connections and advice began to shape my writing career.
-
I even sold my book door-to-door when it came out to make sure as many people as possible knew about it. One of my favorite quotes is: Some people want it to happen. Some people wish it would happen. Successful people make it happen! Bottom line: Success requires action and that means being creative and persistent. It’s all related. Much success to all of you writers!
-
Thank you so much, Kent!
-
You can visit his awesome websites at http://www.coolstuffmedia.com/ and http://www.kenthealy.com/.

No comments: