Friday, September 5, 2008

A Little KMW Love


Way back when I was 13/14 and reading Writer's Digest in Borders (I promise I subscribed shortly thereafter, Maria!), I read the 101 Best Websites for Writers issue and focused in on the Children's section. "KidMagWriters.com," I read and noted down the website in my notebook (such a dweeb.)

KidMagWriters.com was the only website that I really liked, and I kept coming back. That October, I wrote my first piece for Jan Fields (the incredible editor) about using board games to find originality. It was one of my first on-writing clips.

Fast forward to now, and I've written at least a dozen articles for KMW. Many of my other clips (and the money with them) have come from markets I learned about through the Inside Markets section, or other writers' bios. The advice, the encouragement, the knowledge: all fantastic.

So I'm very happy to be writing a monthly column now for KidMagWriters.com called Fresh Ideas. How can you find inspiration for your writing? How can you reinvent a tired genre? I'll be talking about these issues and more.

Read those zines. Write down those names. You never know where they might take you.

No comments: