Saturday, September 27, 2008

Bookshelf: Screenwriting for Teens


Screenwriting for Teens by Christina Hamlett
-
Though I love movies, I've never considered writing for screen. But Screenwriting for Teens is not only a terrific guide for every screenie teen, but a good book to read for any writer. Screenwriting covers everything from genre definitions (and examples!) to dialogue rules, formatting guidelines and finance notes. Perfect for a teen's attention span, each chapter is only 2 pages long and covers a different concept (100 in all) of screenwriting basics.
-
This book is fun and thought-provoking at the same time. I loved all the movie references (I've seen almost all of them!) and have added Moonstruck and Laura to my To-Be-Watched list. But I also kept thinking about my Novel-in-Progress, and how Christina's advice about conflict and character-building needed to be worked into my book. This unusual teen-centered "textbook" (not textbook-boring at all) belongs on your bookshelf if you are interested in writing and especially if you want to be a screenwriter.

No comments: