Saturday, November 22, 2008

Bookshelf: Hello to Jay Asher!!


13 Reasons Why was one of those books everyone kept recommending and I never could find the time to read. I finally did this summer, and was blown away. If I had done a 2007 Best Books of the Year list, Jay Asher's debut would be on it. This book is so appealing to both super-readers and non-readers and so accurate about teen life and struggle with depression. I could go on for hours and hours, but instead I am so happy to present Mr. Jay Asher.
-
INN: Why did you start writing?
-
JA: I've enjoyed writing ever since I learned how to write. I was never great at drawing or music, so writing was the one creative outlet where I felt somewhat confident. After I took a college class on the history of children's literature, I finally discovered the type of writing I wanted to pursue. But I was only writing on humorous books for younger children until I began working on Thirteen Reasons Why.
-
INN: Thirteen Reasons Why combines the tapes of Hannah's narration with Clay's "real time" thoughts and actions. When you wrote, what was it like combining the two?
-
JA: It was fairly easy once I got going. At first, I tried writing their stories exactly as they are now, with Hannah saying something and then Clay reacting. But it became difficult to keep their voices distinct. So I spent about a year-and-a-half writing Hannah's story all the way through. And then I went back and added Clay's story. By the time I began writing from Clay's perspective, I'd forgotten many of the things that happened to Hannah, which actually helped me capture some of Clay's tension while he listened to the tapes...because I felt tense, too!
-
INN: Which character resembles you the most? The least?
-
JA: Clay resembles me the most, especially when I was in high school. He's a good guy overall, but sometimes he has trouble standing up for what's right. And I hope I'm the least like Bryce. From what we know about him in the story, he completely lacks any concern for others.
-
INN: Your book has received universally outstanding reviews, by everyone from aged librarians to teens to critics. What has it been like to receive such recognition?
-
JA: When they praise the writing itself, I feel very satisfied because I worked hard at that. But when someone tells me the stories of Clay and Hannah meant so much to them and made them a better person, I definitely glow inside, but I also get a little shy. This was a very personal story for me, and when someone really understands and appreciates what I was trying to say, there's an odd sense of being emotionally exposed.
-
INN: What's up next in your writing career?
-
JA: I'm working on my next book for teens, which you'll hopefully also enjoy. And then I'll write another one. And another. But someday I'd love to see those humorous books for younger children I've written sitting on bookshelves rather than just in my computer.
-
INN: Any advice for teen writers?
-
JA: The best thing anyone can do to improve their writing is join a critique group. It's one thing to write for yourself, but it's something else to write with the goal of having other people read your words. And the only way to make sure your words reflect exactly what you meant to say is to have someone else give you an honest critique.
-
I've been in groups where about ten writers met every-other-week to discuss what each other was working on, and I'm now in a group with only two other writers. As long as your group is honest and tells you your strengths and weaknesses...and as long as you're willing to honestly consider their suggestions...your writing will improve dramatically.
-
Thank you so much, Jay! Visit Jay at www.jayasher.com and www.discomermaids.blogspot.com.

No comments: