Wednesday, April 2, 2008

If You Want to Write...

The latest in our weekly "stiletto steps" writing series. Or dwarf steps. Whatever.


Go Local

The more local a writing contest is, the more likely you are to win it. The more local it is, the less entries there will be. There will always be at least fifty or sixty percent of entries that don't follow the rules or are completely impossible. So your odds are better. I was beating myself over the head because I missed a writing contest, and after seeing the winners, knew I could have placed. Darn it.

But, I did tell my English teacher about an essay contest on To Kill a Mockingbird. Our class is reading To Kill a Mockingbird. She has now created an opportunity for anyone in her classes to enter the competition, send her a copy, and earn an extra credit test grade. I feel popular-- except now I have a lot more competition to win this shindig.

P.S. Innovative issues will now be posting on SATURDAYS, allowing readers to relax with the weekend and WORD.

No comments: