Thursday, January 1, 2009

In My Mailbox / What I Brought Home / Hopelessly Plagiarized Attempts At Recounting Books Taken

The Story Siren has had to cut back reviews over at www.thestorysiren.com to take care of her puppy. My heart goes out to her-- we have a puppy who just needs a birth certificate to be a legal member of the family, and if he ever got seriously ill... yeah. So, in honor of her and because I have found some new books lately, here is a version of In My Mailbox/What I Have Now/Books That Found My Address.
Lord of Misrule by Rachel Caine was sent to me by Penguin (thank you!) and I started this one on the flight over. So far, not in love, but I've got 200 pages to go.

In Too Deep by Jennifer Banash, also sent by Penguin. This I was prepared to hate, and read subsequently in about an hour. It's so addictive. Review to come soon.

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart is one of the 4 books on my Best Books of 2008 list. I was given quite a lot of cash for B&N, so I promptly picked up this, my favorite book of the year. I ordered online (new and exciting!) and hopefully will have it soon...


Dramarama by E. Lockhart is the only E. Lockhart YA I have not read. It's in paperback and impossible to find in school, so on to the virtual shopping cart it went. (Weird. You buy books... without touching them. Strange.)

The Conde Nast Traveler Book of Unforgettable Journeys: Great Writers on Great Places. How could I resist? The cover alone is delicious.
Now, I'm planning on picking up Cracked Up to Be tomorrow and I still have about $9-10 leftover. The question is, what YA paperback written by a fairly new author would you recommend? I'll buy it if it looks good. Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles comes to mind, but please recommend things!
(Ooh. I also received The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen and Graceling ... I am a spoiled brat. I have books. Goodness.)

7 comments:

Emily said...

How do you get Penguin to send you books?

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Nice list! And I know what you mean about a dog being a part of the family. Mine is as well. :( I'd hate it if she was hurt or sick.

-lauren

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed IN TOO DEEP! If you're looking for a great book by a new YA author, check out Megan Kelley Hall's SISTERS OF MISERY--I thought it was fabulous!

Liviania said...

I read Dramarama through the library - it's a lot of fun.

Gabrielle said...

Hey, Emily! I've been able to work with different publicists to promote books through this blog. It's a very nice perk of blogging :D.

Yes, Lauren. My puppy right now is grieving because he spent a month with my grandparents and is now back at the House of Discipline. We still love him though.

Jennifer-- Thank you so much for stopping by! You should not write such addictive books. Please. I had homework to do.

Liviania-- I'm the biggest E. Lockhart fan on the planet, and it's the only book of hers I haven't read, so I'm glad to hear it's a goodie.

Anonymous said...

I haven't read those two E. Lockhart books. Want to so much though. xD

Unknown said...

You have some great books in your mailbox! :)