Thursday, January 10, 2008

If You Want to Write...

The latest in our weekly blog series on writing... duh!

Lookin' Good

If you want to write and get published you have to... look good!

No, not physically (although a little personal grooming does wonders for one's attitude.) If you interview for a job, you want to look tidy and professional. Your first impression is super important, right? Just so in writing. Your first contact with a publication is like your first impression. Here are two sample first-contact queries.

1.

From: Cr8luver@weirdzite.com
To: NiceEditor@innovative.com
Subject: will u reed my stuf?

Deer Nece Editor,

"Will U Reed my Stuf" iz an artikle about Im and how it effects ritting in schools...

[more mispelled jibberish, with good credentials]


2.

From: JaneDoe@yahoo.com
To: NiceEditor@innovative.com
Subject: Query

Dear Nice Editor,

The world of instant messaging and text language has changed the way our kids communicate to each other; but how has it changed the way kids communicate in schools?

My article, "Will U Reed My Stuf?" will cover...

Ok, Ok, it's blatantly obvious but so is it for editors! And who do you think they want to work with?

So look good on your next query, or fiction submission. Editors love a good first impression.

1 comment:

Kathy@TheFlawlessWord said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I admire what you're doing here. I wish I'd had more writing encouragement as a teen. I might have found my vocation a lot sooner if I had.